Monday 13 January 2014

#12 of 30

"Spring Shadows"
6" x 8" - Oil on Canvas
$90 Unframed
This is painted from a photograph that I took a couple of years ago when my kitchen walls were still a love pastel shade called "French Blue'.  It was an interesting colour, becoming more mauve or grey or blue in hue depending on the time of day that the light was coming in.  I loved the fabulous shadows that the tulips cast against the wall.
I attempted this painting in a much larger format a couple of years ago.  I think it was 30 x 40.  I was using acrylic paints and it was darn near impossible to get a nice transition between the wall and the shadow at the top!  It's soooo much easier with oils.  Wishing now that I would have done this small study first before trying to tackle the larger painting!  Another lesson learned from this challenge!


2 comments:

  1. Painting is so often more responsive, in oil!
    You could use this little jewel as a study for a larger painting! I might not be included to go as large as 30x40 though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have the 30 x 40 downstairs. It is partway there. I may just finish it and see what happens.

      Delete